The Saint Theresa Chapel in Hem : a commissioned work by a Roubaix art connoisseur and patron
Classed a Historical Monument, the Chapel of Saint Theresa of the Child Jesus and of the Holy Face in Hem, is a remarkable testimony to the renewal of sacred art at the end of the 1950s. Commissioned by Philippe Leclercq (1899-1980), a Roubaix industrial textile merchant, this small, intimate space was designed by the Swiss architect, Hermann Baur. It brings together the works of the artists Alfred Manessier, Eugène Dodeigne, Georges Rouault, Jean Roulland, the weaver couple Jacques and Bilou Le Caisne, and the silversmith Christian Fjerdingstad. The documentary exhibition presents this remarkable adventure.